Thursday, September 24, 2009

1980s vs 2000s

Well most people would say that there are great differences of the life in Singapore in the 1980s and in the 2000s. I have not expeirenced the differences but have heard of some like how neighbours used to cook an extra portion of food for you and how neighbours left their door open. ( You will certainly not see those now)


Well a simple test on the expectations of parents then and now might show some light. And so I will be sharing what my parents expectations of me and what my expectations of my children are. Firstly, my parents expected me to work hard when I am young and be successful in the coperate world. They want me to be outspoken and not be afraid to share opinions and ask. A good learning attitude and having a high aim is something that they expect from me and is what they think that is essential in learning new things.


My expectations of my children are quite similiar. I want them to be acceptive, have perserverance and be determined when learning things. My children are expected to work hard when they are young so that they are able to take life slowly when they are old. Also, my children must dare to try new things and dare to take risks that will benefit them. Thriftiness must be present and also being humble is important. I hope that my children will have the goal to suceed in everything that he does. Lastly, he or she must have compassion care for the unfortunate.


As you can see, both the generations of parents have similiar goals for their children and this shows that although the generations are different, the goals and expetations of parents for their children are the same and that all parents want their children to be useful adults in the future. So after all, not all things are different in different generations of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment