The last few post of my blog are all about the story book The Village By The Sea. I written a book review on the book and shared with you my experiences when acting out Chapter 10 of the book. Now let me do a character analysis of some of the characters.
- he is the protagonist of the story
- he is the only son of the family
- he has to assume the duty of taking care of his parents and his siblings.
- he leads a hard life as he has to make decisions which adults have to make
- she is the eldest daughter of the family and is the elder sister of Hari
- given up school to help maintain the house
Bela and Kamal
- they are the younger sisters of Hari and Lila
- they are dtill schooling
- both of them help Lila in managing the house.
- She is the mother of Lila, Hari, Bela and Kamal
- She fell ill with anaemia and is getting weaker by the day.
- She is unable to take care of her children, protect them from their drunkard father nor work
- he is the father of Lila, Hari, Bela and Kamal
- irresponsible father
- wastes money on toddy
- turned over a new leaf in the end
- the pet dog of Hari's family
- faithful to the family especially Lila as she spent the most time with him
- richest man in the village that Hri and his family live in
- owns the first diesel powered boat in the village
- proud and arrogant
- looks down on the other villagers
- he is the friend of Hari
- knew that many factories are going to be built in the village and believes that he will be able to get a job there.
- he is the owner of the Sri Krishna Eating House
- gave Hari a job when he is in Bombay
- lives in a slum
- He is a watch mender
- popular with his neighbours
- taught Hari how to mend watches
- rich and generous family from Bombay
- comes to Thul during the holidays
- owns a bungalow in Thul
- brought Hari's mother to the hospital and paid for the medical fees.
watchman of the factory
- hostile towards the villagers
- looks down on the villagers
- supported the point that factories should not be built in Thul
- spent his time drawing birds
- member of the Maharashtra State Legislative assembly
- led the villagers to Bombay to protest against the building of factories in Thul
- she is an old women who is interested in herbs and cures
- loves toddy
- sent the medicine man to Hari's mother.
- cares very much about her family
- her family is not very rich so she was unhappy when her husband brought Hari home to her house to stay for a day as this adds on to her family's burden
- guarded Hari when he slept in the park
- sons of Hira bai
And there you have it, the character analysis of The Village By The Sea