Saturday, April 25, 2009

Who Took My Cheese?



Books are essential or you can call them basic necessities for Literature. While some hate them ,some just love them.To some books can mean knowledge or stories. On the other hand, some see them as lengthy or for nerds. Well I must say that I lie in the middle. When I happen to meet a good book, I will fall in love with it. But when I meet a bad one, I just put them down. This is the time when books are a dread to me.

How about our parents?? They also go through the same process as us. Well to answer this question, I interviewed my mother . According to my mother, during her time, technology was not so advanced and people do not have as many types of activities to do while relaxing. So she read. One of the books that inspired her was "Who Moved My Cheese?".
This book is about two mice and two small human beings, as small as the mice. All of them lived in a maze and had to eat cheese to survive. It was like cheese was the only thing that they were able to eat. All of the characters had to navigate around the maze to various cheese stations to find them. However most of the cheese stations were empty.All of them finally found cheese at Cheese Station C. They started eating the cheese. As days went by, the cheese began to get smaller and smaller. The mice noticed this change and started navigating through the maze to find new cheese. After many failures, the duo came to Cheese Station N . Cheese was abundant there. They were delighted.
However , the humans did not notice the change. And panicked when they found that there was no cheese at the station. They were angry and believed that someone moved their cheese. But the cheese was not taken away but eaten by them. They did not do anything but waited and waited for that someone to put the cheese back . Days went by and they were getting weaker. Nothing happened.
One of the humans wondered what the mice were doing . Were they in the maze finding cheese? Or did they waited like them. Then one of the humans suggested that they go back to the maze and find cheese. The other however disagreed. He was afraid of getting lost in that dark dark maze. But the one who came up with the suggestion continued with his journey in the maze. He did get lost many times but never gave up. And finally he got what he was craving for ,CHEESE! The two mice were also there. The other human was still stuck at the same place, deprived of cheese.
This story is based on the theme change and adaptation. It tells people that changes are always happening around us and that we need to adapt to them in order to succeed. We also must persevere in whatever we do and learn from our mistakes. These are what my mother learnt from the story. And that was also why this book inspired her.

1 comment:

  1. Haha Jaw, I love this book, it rocks! Especially in the ending, when you will wonder if the other little human comes home. I love it! Hope you love it too!

    ReplyDelete